John Wiley & Sons, 2013
Ralph Kimball and Margy Ross co-authored the third edition of Ralph’s classic guide to dimensional modeling. It provides a complete collection of modeling techniques, beginning with fundamentals and gradually progressing through increasingly complex real-world case studies.
The book significantly enhances and expands upon the concepts and examples presented in the earlier editions of The Data Warehouse Toolkit.
- New chapter with the “official” library of the Kimball dimensional modeling techniques
- Expanded coverage of advanced dimensional modeling patterns for more complex real-world scenarios, including bridge tables for ragged variable depth hierarchies and multivalued attributes
- Sample data warehouse bus matrices for 12 case studies
- Enhanced slowly changing dimension techniques type 0 through 7
- Recommended best practices for big data analytics
- Guidance regarding collaborative, interactive dimensional modeling design sessions with business stakeholders
- Updated overview of the Kimball DW/BI project lifecycle methodology
- Comprehensive review of extract, transformation, and load (ETL) systems and design considerations, including 34 subsystems and techniques to populate dimensional models
Tools and Utilities
NOTE: If your browser opens a file rather than downloading it, try right-clicking on the link and selecting “Save Target As.”
Sample date dimension spreadsheet
The article regarding “Building Hierarchy Bridge Tables” is currently unavailable. Stay tuned for more details in a future Kimball Design Tip.