Readiness Assessment and Strategy Prioritization projects are appropriate both for organizations embarking on their initial data warehouse/business intelligence (DW/BI) effort and for organizations with a mature DW/BI environment.
If this is your initial foray into data warehousing and business intelligence, you want to ensure that you start off on the right foot. The Kimball Group participates in the early planning stages to evaluate your organization’s readiness to launch a DW/BI initiative and develop an effective strategy for moving forward. We work with management to identify a high-priority, manageable initial scope, develop justification, and establish a roadmap for subsequent phases. The readiness deliverable summarizes our findings and specific recommendations.
If you have a mature DW/BI environment, an assessment engagement will identify opportunities to grow and enhance your capabilities. The Kimball Group will work with your organization to evaluate your current environment, assess your methodology and strategy, and ensure your organization’s DW/BI capabilities align with the business’s strategies and requirements. Our goal is to formulate a business-driven plan for on-going investments in your DW/BI environment. The assessment analysis will identify critical gaps, needs and recommended actions.
Regardless of the maturity of your DW/BI environment, the goals and objectives for an assessment/strategy project include:
- Understand the high priority business requirements surrounding the organization’s reporting and analytic needs.
- Conduct a high level review of the data and data architecture to determine its suitability for supporting the identified requirements.
- Derive a roadmap based on the data realities and business priorities to assure the DW/BI environment will meet the organization’s ongoing and future reporting and analytic needs.
Assessment/strategy projects typically include the following activities:
- Interview key business and IT sponsors and stakeholders.
- Analyze critical business requirements, executive commitment, and fundamental technical issues.
- Facilitate a management session to review findings, reach consensus on priorities, and secure commitment to a roadmap.
- Recommend an overall strategy for delivering enhanced DW/BI capabilities, including overall methodology, project scope, and data architecture.
Contact Bob Becker to discuss how the Kimball Group can help with your Readiness Assessment and Strategy Prioritization project.